Saturday, March 9, 2013

Referral Guilt

Spring is right around the corner and new projects are springing up faster than the plants will - once the snow is gone.   I am still working on some long term vintage sewing projects.  I have a few new ideas floating around in my head. I will have to get them down on paper and into the planning and construction stage so I can have new ones ..  LOL

Well on the the referral guilt. ( fictional names have been used to protect the privacy of those involved - but needed to follow story)  I work at a large art and craft store and one of my customers who I will name Jan planned to have a padded cornice recovered - she had asked me initially to complete the project and at the time I was overloaded with projects and I just did not have the time.  That was O.K.  this Jan had received a name of another seamstress  in town from a competitor; for this story we will refer to her as Beth.  I recognized the name; I had worked for this company for a short while and I had seen Beth's work, very professional and well done.  Long story shorter - Jan  came back to my store the other day to buy new fabric.  Beth totally botched the job - the fabric that was initially used was ruined and not reusable.  Jan purchased new fabric, the cornice is 18 inches high and 9 feet long, the fabric chosen was of a good quality and the price reflected it.  At this time Jan asked me to recover the cornice again.  Right now my schedule allows it so off I go.

I do feel bad - logically I should not based on the work I have seen I had no reservations.  It really upsets me that a "professional" would take on a job that they were not able to complete in a suitable manner - it does make things that much harder for everyone else.  Not only does one have to ease their fears and calm them, but you need to repair or alter someone Else's mess.  (I am climbing down from my soap box"

I just got the first layer of fabric and trim off - ugh.  The original fabric was still underneath .  All the fabric is off and I am looking at a thin layer of batting that will have to be beefed up before I add the heavy upholstery fabric.  I will have pictures of my progress in a bit.         

  

No comments:

Post a Comment