Saturday, October 15, 2016

Candle making sucess - well sort of



After a bit of study, some patience and a healthy dose of trial and error I think I've got it.  A nearly perfect pour on my candle.  I will admit that the white area of wax near the top is entirely my fault.  I knocked over the candle right after I filled up the cooling well.


I completed the test burn, I would say the results came out about average.  In a nutshell here is what I have learned and will now apply to further candle making adventures.

#1 A  pint jar will surprisingly take 16 oz or 1 pound of wax to fill

#2 Warm up your container prior to filling

#3  Pour your candle at a slightly warmer temperature (poured mine at 180 degrees) 

#4 Be prepared to fill the void (cooling well) left around the wick as the wax cools and shrinks

#5  If using straight paraffin do not add a hardener such as stearine (stearic acid) The wax will be too too            hard to burn properly.   

#6  I used a wick rated for pillars 2 inches to 3.5 inches in diameter - this is a bit too small.  I need to use the      next size up.

#7  If using a good quality scent be prepared to use a maximum of 1 oz of liquid scent per pound of wax.         Coffee was the aroma of choice for this adventure therefore using the entire ounce makes a pleasant           scented candle lit or not - some fragrances will be altogether too strong for this amount.

Lastly and most importantly remember to relax, take your time -working safely and enjoy the creative process.    
      


No comments:

Post a Comment