Friday, October 7, 2016

Container Candle Folly

Time to start thinking Christmas gifts.  My family has always made our gifts to friends and each other (don't get overwhelmed it doesn't happen 100% of the time)  and seeing that it is now October I had better get going.  Nearly everyone loves a candle right - even if you don't light it a well scented candle generally is appreciated.  On to the fun -

I've done it before and not always with the best of success.  What does any crafting junkie do first; check Pinterest.  Overwhelming contradicting information Aargh!!  Ok I'm smarter than that, time to check the candle making suppliers. After all you should know how to use the products you are selling - some information there.  Oh well lets dive in worst case scenario I end up with an ugly candle that won't burn and I will have to remelt the wax.  I do know enough to not burn my house down.

Heat the wax to the proper temperature add colorant remove from heat cool a little add desired scent stir gently pour and voila candle.


                                                  

Ok #1 paraffin wax shrinks when cool had to add additional wax to fill well - oops used all the color used a bit of white.  Notice the lines across the candle near the bottom and the odd cloudy bit near the top.  Not a perfect pour inconceivable according to various trouble shooting guides, could be caused by wax was poured at to low of a temperature - or the container was too cool and the candle hardened to rapidly.  I can work with that.  Now on to a burn test......


                                                    

#2 See how this candle is melting the wax only in the center, if allowed to continue to burn you would "drown" the wick in the puddle of wax and if by chance you got it to keep burning it would melt out the core only.  Back to the trouble shooting charts: the advice use a larger wick - I know the wick should be the correct size for this candle.  Possibility # 2 the wax is too hard , I must admit I added stearin to the paraffin this is a chemical the will increase the burn time by hardening the wax.  The solution add beeswax to soften.  Got it two minor corrections to make.  Candle put back in the double boiler to melt the wax out of the container - make my corrections and start again.      

No comments:

Post a Comment